Friday, January 13, 2006

On "The Birth"

A very good friend of mine who is too shy (i think) to post a comment on the blog sent me this email:


Hey Dude,

Almost didn't say anything because I couldn't put my finger on why I didn't quite think that it was brilliant. Imagery was great and the thing pans out slowly and nicely. Something kept bugging me though. True that I could not relate to the emotions but I knew that wasn't it. I gave up and started looking around your blog when I came across this:
-------------------------------------------------------
Her face rose as angelic as it had set,
unblemished by star-light.
A view so divine,
even the moon lingered a while longer
-------------------------------------------------------
And for some reason I popped up the comments and saw "A let down after The Birth! :) " and then it hit me (I don't know why the comment triggered the thought). "The Birth" was missing on impact unlike the one above where the last line gives me something I wasn't expecting and I go back to read it. "The Birth" takes me through the whole process and I glide along but I don't remember it when I'm done.
Well, if you think I analysed the thing to death then do not read the post script.
Reggie
P.S.
The first time I read it I realized the rhyming was forced, I mean here:
-------------------------------------------------------
Wide-eyed and cold lying in the rust,
The babe divine, swaddled in blood.
“Breathe my dear, breathe my child,”
“May the night with your cries be flood
-------------------------------------------------------
and here
-------------------------------------------------------
It was almost as though all was lost
When this strange glow did spread.
The infant shone like the naked sun,
And the beasts trembled with dread
-------------------------------------------------------
Anyway I've always thought: Why rhyme :)

Plus, there isn't an emotion I could relate to so wouldn't be an all time favourite of mine :)

Reggie Falange


...

And I agree with him. First, guess I shouldn't try to force myself to complete a poem. Complete it in the same sitting or just post the half-done verses. Second, don't water down the climax!

Thanks for your comments Reggie!

Iyer

6 comments:

Ranj said...

Have a lot to say ... have saved half the comment elsewhere. Will put it up soon :)

3 potties said...

hurry up...cant wait ;)

Iyer

Ranj said...

Iyer: Here goes ... ;)

I completely agree with you about the Rhyme - I always felt it "strained" a poem. It sounds 'artificial' to me and very few exceptional poets can handle rhyme.

And yes, please do not force yourself to complete a poem and post in one-sitting :) The tone always varies and so does the mood.

As for why I thought The Birth was fantastic - it was effortless reading, it took my mind to many places, it set several parts of my mind wondering/wandering and most importantly - it has beautiful musical quality & imagery.

The usage of words (I don't know if it was deliberate) added to that music quality & images.

Imagery: It moves through a spectrum of colours and sights; from dust grey clouds, dragon's scorching breath, to the rusty floor ... to white.

Sound: It covers a variety - scream, souls that are not rested, rumble, roar, moan, cries, murmurs and finally the carol.

It spans across death and life with unrestrained ease... It covers evil and good, God & devil, War and peace ... it handles such opposite stands and it ends in a perdect way! It was deep in imapct, quite contrary to Reggie's thoughts; at least for me.

And it has the quintessential vagueness about a piece of work that leaves me thinking about it - that's what I love most!

Ranj said...

I think the metaphor of Mother and Child is what made it so powerful and without that, perhaps it would've fallen flat in impact.

Anonymous said...

I liked your poem. an engaging read. The ryhme did not seem to be forced, atleast not untill the end where you watered it down because your original idea was too dark.

What i could not put a finger on ranj has decribed it well. it is truely the imagery that lets me feel and build the poem around me.

If possible and if your mood permits do build on the your original idea.

3 potties said...

that wud be blasphemous!

:D

iyer