Wednesday, May 25, 2005

the journey back home

I wake up with a frosted cheek, a result of dozing with my cheek on the cold window. The bus lurches around another curve as it climbs into the dark hills. As I open the window the cold wind rushes past bringing with it the crisp fragrance of the pepper shrubs.

I draw the blanket closer and peer out into the dying darkness. A little further, and now I can make out the dark concentric circles around the hills. Layers of tea leaves rustling in welcome. Nestled in the valley beyond is my home - a village with one main street. A home I left more than a decade ago.

The sky is turning a turbid gray as the bus descends into the valley. A handful of lights shone from below. The faint sound of the temple bells floods my mind with the memories of the sultry afternoons spent swimming in the village pond, running in little circles with my little brother on my back, sleepy days repeating multiplication tables in chorus...amma's bangles clinking as she served puttu for breakfast, appa reading out stories from old newspapers...With each curve downhill my smile is growing wider and my heart thumping louder. I can't wait to leap out of the bus and run down the road, screaming with joy. I can't wait to hold them tight and smother them with kisses.

I pat my bag unconsciously. Gifts that were chosen after days of deliberation...I wrapped them myself with brimming love. Gold bangles for amma, transistor radio for appa and a bag of candies for kuttan - my brother, my companion.

The taillights of the bus fade away as I stand at the roadside. Most of the village in still rapt in slumber. A few homes are just stirring with the lady of the house sweeping the courtyard and decorating it with kolam. All of a sudden a thousand emotions are churning in my heart. I thought I would be sprinting down the road and rapping the doorknocker. But I find my legs tied down.

I walk to the teashop and put my bag on the wooden bench. As I am served hot kattan-chai a glimmer of recognition flashes on the owner’s face, then fades. His age and vision have moved in opposite directions. He can't place me. He doesn't remember me. I am shivering with fear now, may be it is the cold. I cup the tea glass with both hands and allow the steam to touch my face. And I stare...stare down the road, the road that has remained a virgin. Nothing has changed since the morning I left. Left this sleepy village to see the world, in search of a life that would be anywhere but in this suffocating valley where even seasons have stopped changing.

The rows of huts creak in the wind and a few meters away is the white washed home of the village medic. My home, or what was once my home. When I walked away I was just a boy. Since then I have had the world throw its myriad challenges at me. Each step was laborious but each step made me a man. Among all my struggles there was one constant, a constant that kept me going - my home and the people I love. I am afraid I will realize I have transformed into something that would make me an alien in my home. That would make me dislike my own people, their simplicity and their unchanging ways.

The thought of this journey back home filled me with such happiness that I cried. Now that I am just a few meters away my heart is slipping away. A long journey lies ahead and I need the power of this umbilical cord that ties me to this place. I can’t risk losing this last link.

As I stand facing the heaving brown door I can feel the warmth inside. Tears stream down my face as I leave the gifts at the doorstep. With unchanged memories tucked safely in my bosom, I walk away into the morning mist.


iyer

23 comments:

3 potties said...

admire the way u can capture every minute detail and present it in such a captivating fashion.

if ever my kids hate poetry and ask for a bed time story - I shall call for you.

Lolly

Shuchi said...

very very nice...this is by far one of your best..

I loved the way you have described every second,emotion,surrounding,thought,change etc that is taking place...

..I could really picture the scene..:) good work!!

Zombie said...

read yer post.are those true emotions depicted there or is it an imaginary piece written by you?if its fiction then hats off to u..

3 potties said...

lolly - yes sir, i'll tell them bed time stories while you are having a blast in some beach bar!

zombie - much of the setting is from the remote hills in kerala...i used to head there for my summer vacations...and thats where reality ends and fiction begins...

3 potties said...

That was a scene right out of R K Narayan's novels. Your imagination and stream of thought is so captivating.The way each line so smoothly leads to the next is awesome.How you come up with these situations or the inpiration for such stories is beyond me. The more i read your writings, I am convinced there is a potential story writer hidden in you.

Hats off to you.

Machee

3 potties said...

One more thing i wanted to ask, is this partly a reflection of how you feel when you return home.

Machee

3 potties said...

actually i have been thinking of writing a poem, one thought lead to another and out came this story instead...

i dont want to spoil the fun, so let me elaborate more after the poem takes form...

well, the only place i am totally peaceful is still at home in Bangalore. Doubt this will ever change.

iyer

3 potties said...

ah poem.....

i wld wanna read that.
im sure yr poem wld be more of a story telling somewhere in the lines of the highway man

Lolly

3 potties said...

haha, no no, its not all dark...look deep and u'll see light...

btw, highway man...i think my all time favorite!

there was this awesome book...flights of fantasy...some of the best poems in the world are in there (or the only poems i have ever read!)...wish i cud get my hands on that book again!

iyer

Shuchi said...

Yep...and it was amazing coz it was actually my prescribed book for the boards!

I loved Bazaars of Hyderabad, Daffodils etc etc as well...a very good compilation:)

Zombie said...

Nature generally inspires one to write coz that is probably one of the best way to vent emotions...another beautiful place especially in the rains is Lonavla(near Pune)..we used to head there during our student days on bikes....it was like stepping into a dream ...the place is soo goddamned beautiful!!

Waiting to hear more of your stories...fiction or otherwise..they are very good!

Anonymous said...

impressed!!! that had me hooked till the finish...

really identify with the emotions behind the scene you painted...similar thots been on my mind recently..going bk to Blre soon!! Will it remember me?? *wondering...*

3 potties said...

Bangalore and Bangaloreans never forget ;)

esp, if u r "the" amrita i know...

iyer

3 potties said...

kannada dha kanmanni!!!

Lolly

Anonymous said...

i have been reading your work, i would seriously suggest you to compile your work and publish it "short sotires" etc etc.. people would love it. I for one would wait.

I can so well relate to your story. The protagonist, which i hope is not you, is quite passive in his relationship and chooses to conveniently believe that she/he alone changes. Relationships are evolving (just like people), they are never stagnant and it is up to you to move it to a better platform. It is probably her/his cowardice that keeps him from knocking on that big brown door. ...Just like I let my relationship whither.

Keep those stories coming!

3 potties said...

hey mr./ms. anonymous,

i am glad u liked the work...
but it wud be a bit of a stretch to compile and publish them :D
there are so many talented people out there - lolly, shuchi, ranj...

btw, please leave ur name next time u drop in!

iyer

Shuchi said...

And we would all love to see your words in print:)...

Thanks for the compliment!

Ranj said...

Iyer,

Finally read the entire thing. It is probably one of the best pieces you've written. Listen to Anon and get it published :) Keep the words coming!

3 potties said...

Ranj,

Thanks for finding the patience and concentration :D

Btw, if I did publish, how many copies wud I sell?

Me = 10 copies for my museum
U = 1 copy?
Machee, shuchi, seagal, ammu mebbe 1 each
Lolly will borrow from machee or shuchi
Bro = none, even if he did, I wud have to pay for it
Pa and Ma wud buy a dozen to make me happy

So max around 30!

Is it worth the trouble?

Iyer

Anonymous said...

AMMU???!!! #$*#^(*$&#(&@(*#&$#

Shuchi said...

Don't say I din warn you iyer...start digging your grave now..my roomie is coming for ya...

My turn to say...

...run iyer run..;)

3 potties said...

"my roomie is coming for ya..."

now i dont think that is such a bad thing after all! ;)

iyer

Unknown said...

great post dude.. after u move away from u r haven, u certainly seem to be a stranger in u r own backyard. suddenly,walking away from the door is quite obvious/sensible!!!!